[blindlaw] Leaving federal employment

Elizabeth Rene emrene at earthlink.net
Wed Mar 20 18:00:31 UTC 2013

Hi Mike,

I just want to say how much I admire you for taking the leap out of a secure
job to enhance your wife's opportunities.  Many sighted men wouldn't do
that.  Your decision shows both guts and heart, and it seems to me that
employers with these qualities should appreciate you whether you are blind
or sighted.

These qualities have probably shone through in your federal practice, and I
wonder whether you have scouted out potential references yet.  I'd bet there
are plenty of colleagues, supervisors, judges, etc. etc. who would vouch for
your professional attributes.

Maybe, too, there are other federal offices, though maybe not in your
current agency, in the city and state you're moving to.  If so, you may have
the advantage of already being a federal attorney.

What I'm trying to say is that, even with all the prejudice out there
regarding blind employees, you may be a lot more desirable and marketable as
an employee than you think.

But I don't minimize your anxiety, because I'm feeling a lot of the same
thing, coming back into law practice after several years away pursuing other
dreams.

It just seems to me, though, that you have proven your worth as a lawyer,
even if you've faced tough workplace challenges, and even if you haven't
found all the best answers as to how to meet them.

Just for your own comfort, maybe this might be a good time to shore up any
blindness related workplace skills you wish you could have devoted time to
during those hectic trial days, or maybe brush up on the law generally,
especially if you have to take a bar exam.

I highly recommend BARBRI for the bar review.  Even if you don't sit for an
exam, the omnibus review of the law you get, combined with their
pretty-darn-good ADA accommodations, could do a lot to still those tummy
butterflies.  I'd be happy to communicate off list about this, if you'd
like.  My iPhone address is rene0373 at gmail.com.

Hang in there, and good luck.

Elizabeth