[blindlaw] FW: The Wall Street Journal: When It Comes to Hiring, Blind Workers Face Bias

Susan Kelly Susan.Kelly at pima.gov
Wed Mar 20 18:31:07 UTC 2013

The public truly does have many misconceptions that need to be corrected
at every opportunity.  I am lucky that I was already employed when
things went from bad to much worse vision-wise, but the reaction of
co-workers and others at court was astounding.   Otherwise intelligent
and compassionate people asked me such questions as "how long will they
let you keep working?" and "why don't you just kick back and collect the
SSI benefits?"  As a young woman with student loan debts, a newish
house, and most importantly, a brain and self-respect, it has been
difficult to avoid questioning their intellectual abilities!