[blindlaw] new attorney

Carrie Ann Lucas clucas at disabilitypride.com
Fri May 3 17:59:46 UTC 2013

My organization has an open staff attorney position, so I wanted to share
the posting below:

JOB TITLE:  Staff Attorney
REPORTS TO: Carrie Ann Lucas
DIRECT REPORTS:  N/A
DEPARTMENT:  Legal
EXEMPT/NON-EXEMPT:  Exempt
SALARY RANGE :  $42,000-$50,000

Agency: The Center for Rights of Parents with Disabilities (CRPD) is a
non-profit organization which works on behalf of parents with
disabilities.  Our attorneys provide legal, social and systemic advocacy on
behalf of our clients, primarily in dependency & neglect cases.  We also
represent parents and children in domestic relations cases, disability
rights cases, and administrative law matters.

Disability rights matters include Title II and Title II Americans with
Disabilities Act cases, Rehabilitation Act cases, and Fair Housing Act
cases.

We seek to ensure each of our clients have an equal opportunity to parent,
while ensuring that their rights are protected.   We represent parents
throughout Colorado, but our efforts are focused in the Denver metropolitan
and Northern Colorado areas.

Position Summary: A Staff Attorney will primarily represent parents in
cases within the Denver Metropolitan area.  This position requires frequent
client contact and a substantial amount of
courtroom advocacy. Priority is given to applicants who have a demonstrated
interest/experience in juvenile law and or disability rights as
demonstrated through work history, pro bono experience, or involvement in
law school clinics.

Minimum Qualifications: A Staff Attorney must have a law degree from an ABA
accredited law school and be licensed to practice in the state of Colorado.
A Staff Attorney will demonstrate a commitment to disability rights and the
CRPD mission.  A Staff attorney should possess strong legal advocacy
skills, strong research, organizational and administrative skills, work
well both independently and as a team member, are respectful and open to
working with people from diverse backgrounds, enjoy creative problem
solving, value the creation of relationships across disciplines, and are
enthusiastic about being a part of an innovative method of advocacy.
A staff attorney will possess exceptional legal skills, preferably in the
relevant areas of law (parent advocacy, child welfare, Medicaid,
delinquency, disability rights, or other areas of juvenile law), and have
excellent written and verbal communication skills.

Successful candidates will demonstrate a strong work ethic and ability to
work nights and weekends when necessary; demonstrated competence in working
with diverse clients and client communities; demonstrated ability to
achieve systemic reforms; and demonstrated ability to collaborate
effectively with other advocates and social service providers.  Excellent
computer skills, including demonstrated proficiency in Microsoft Office.
Ability to learn and use WordPefect.  Bilingual communication skills
preferred.

Job Responsibilities include:
•    Advocate for appropriate, and timely services.
•    Attend all court hearings and provide accurate and current information
directly to the court.
•    Litigate adjudicatory, dispositional, and termination hearings in
juvenile law matters, temporary orders, final orders, and emergency
hearings in domestic relations matters, and all aspects of complex civil
rights litigation in disability rights cases.
•    Research, draft and file motions and appeals.
•    Establish a relationship with the client and maintain regular contact.
•    Maintain regular communication with other professionals involved
including Department of Human Services (DHS) case worker, therapists,
service providers, guardian ad litem, and other attorneys..
•    Attend staffings and meetings that pertain to the family.
•    Utilize case management software to maintain and preserve accurate,
contemporaneous records of time spent on cases and other work performed.
•    Prepare and prioritize cases and maintain files in a shared caseload
with other staff.
•    Participate in case conferences.
•    Participate in performance evaluations.
•    Keep abreast of new issues in the field of juvenile law, disability
rights law, legal ethics, and all other matters necessary for the vigorous
and competent representation of CRPD's clients.
•    Participate in ongoing training and continuing education necessary for
professional development and maintenance of contracts and law license.
.
Travel Requirements: Work requires some local travel and may require
occasional overnight travel and weekend and/or evening work.

To Apply: Please email cover letter, resume, writing sample, and at least
two references to clucas at disabledparentrights.org with “Staff Attorney” in
the subject line.