[blindlaw] Accessibility of bar exams and bar review courses

Elizabeth Rene emrene at earthlink.net
Mon May 13 01:55:21 UTC 2013

Hi all,

Many of us have recently taken bar examinations, and most likely have used
bar review courses to prepare for them.  We've all cheered for those who've
passed, and we all remember the struggles of those who've had to litigate to
get reasonable accommodations from the NCBE.

I was so pumped up after my February exam (the first in Washington given in
Braille) that I looked into taking another state's exam just to enhance my
credentials.

I learned through  the Internet that almost every state requires the
Multistate Bar Exam (MBE), the Multistate Essay Exam (MEE), the Multistate
Performance Test (MPT), and the Multistate Professional Responsibility Exam
(MPRE).  All of these tests have been developed by the National Conference
of Bar Examiners (NCBE), but are given by each state along with any local
components.  A few states have agreed to give the Uniform Bar Exam
(UBE--which contains all of the above tests) and honor raw data scores from
each others' examinees, but all other states make would-be lawyers  write
each exam in the original when applying for their licenses.

Had enough alphabet soup yet?

Starting this July, Washington State will be giving the UBE, along with the
Washington Law Component (WLC),, a 60-question, online, open book multiple
choice test self-administered by the examinee, who will be given 15 or so
subject outlines of Washington law whose approach is unique to our state.

There now, the last spoonful of ABC's , if you've not already choked.

Until now, Washington's test has consisted of 24 timed essays, 18 in
substantive law and 6 on Washington's professional conduct rules, written
within a mandatory character count.

I took my bar review course from BARBRI, who gave me Braille subject
outlines and practice essay questions.  The Braille was pretty sloppy, but
it was Braille, and I got it on time.  They'd contracted with the Disabled
Student Services of Southern Illinois University to produce it.

In March, I asked whether Braille was available for the California, Texas,
or Minnesota bar exams, and learned that there was none.  I'd need a
warehouse to hold it, I was told, if produced.  Turns out that I'm the only
person whose asked Barbri for Braille in recent memory.

My Internet searches have turned up no bar review courses that even mention
the ADA, much less offer Braille.  The NCBE offers study aids and practice
exams online and through its store, but no reference to Braille is made for
these.  I do know that NCBE does offer Braille for the bar exams themselves.

So, given all the above, what have each of you done to prepare for and take
the bar exam?  Whose courses did you use?  Did you get Braille materials,
use speech alone, study through your smart phones, or use Braille displays?
Did you answer with your laptop, dictate to your  proctor, or do something
else?  And how did you judge in advance what time you'd need for the
performance test?

And why is ExamSoft getting away with making inaccessible test software when
every law school and state bar association using it has to obey the ADA?

I got sick in mid-April and didn't follow through on my own project.  Now it
seems I may need to take all those multistate tests anyway,since I've  just
missed passing Washington's last essay exam.

So would you share your experiences with me, please?  I'm now fascinated
with this whole subject of across the country lawyer testing, reciprocity
and lack thereof, and accessibility.

Heartfelt thanks.

Elizabeth