[blindlaw] Strategies for Blind Litigators

Nicholas Parsons mr.nicholas.parsons at gmail.com
Sun May 26 06:55:27 UTC 2013

Hi list,

I'm a law student from Australia. I'm in my final semester, completing my practical legal training (similar to your bar exam) before getting admitted as a lawyer. I'm applying to become a judge's associate (which is what you in the States call a law clerk) next year and after that hope to practice as a barrister – which is the name we give to trial and appellate advocates.

I don't know that there have been any trial or appellate advocates in Australia who have been blind. We have had a law school dean, a human rights commissioner, an attorney-general and many transactional solicitors who have been blind, but no courtroom advocates to my knowledge. So I'd really appreciate speaking with anyone from the US or anywhere else who has had such experience.

I suppose at this stage I'm really trying to assess the feasibility of this career path, and identify any particular skills I should try and develop to manage in court without sight.

Look forward to hearing from any and all.

Kind regards,
Nic