[blindlaw] Comments and Notes on Assistance Dogs: Media Links and Concerning Issues Needing Dialogue

Norman, Gary C. (CMS/OSORA) Gary.Norman at cms.hhs.gov
Fri Nov 15 15:59:15 UTC 2013

Greetings:

This is to note a couple of recent guide dog related incidents or dialogues. My friend Terry of my alumni board (Vice Chair) transmitted the notes to me, which I believe are worth sharing. I am thankful of the two notes transmitted by brother Terry. Terry transmitted two different but related notes, the contents of which are contained at the conclusion of this missive as addendums.

Introduction
As I do interpret the same; they do concern the public perception, or in some instances lack of understanding, of guide dogs. Here in Maryland, the Prometheus Group, a linked for-profit and non-profit holistic practice and consulting organization, will explore what kind of dialogue we may bring to the issue.

Global Health Demanding Blind People and Their Dogs - Are Guide Dogs Mistreated?
I do also want to reflect, in an imperfect and early way, on the issue of a response to the global health expert. First, again, we need to explore a written statement, responding to the attitude reflected by the expert, which is perhaps the view of some others.

By that, I do note - some. Only a Sith Lord talks in absolutes.

PETA has held a longstanding policy that the blind are unable to care for their dogs. According to them, there should be sighted human guides and not guide dogs. That of course is a position held out of lack of knowledge.

His work is to be applauded . His organization has helped to cure disease. His comments do bely a lack of robust view of global health policy as relates to the disabled.

Ø  His comments do reflect the medical model of disability.

Ø  His comments do show a surprising lack of complexity. As much as some or many eye diseases can be cured (this being true of all conditions that may rise to the level of a legally defined disability) many of them cannot be so cured, requiring supports and services.

Ø  As the great bioethicist and disability scholar once expressed, something to which I cited in a law review article for my post graduate degree, all in a society receive supports and services; for those who say disabled people should not have such supports, they are basically hypocrites.

Ø  More scientifically, there is emerging study, as I understand, given to showing the benefits of reasonable accommodations and the financial impact it works. While the cost is admittedly high and even inconsistent among schools, there is great benefit to society for the animal and human relationship in general and with regard to guide dogs. For example, with regard to overall human and animal interactions, Congress passed and the President signed the Pets Act for this fact.

In as much I may not agree with some of what President Reagan achieved or attempted to work on this republic, he was a fine orator and dedicated public servant. As to the notes Terry transmitted recently, the words of the President, who may have been admitted into Ancient Free and accepted Masonry,   about how liberty may be lost in a generation come to mind. Our boards and the legal profession as a whole must find creative ways to work against what may be seemingly an emerging negativity of blind people and their furry partnerships in freedom.

On some level, because the disability rights movement may be understood as one for economic justice, the legal profession must do a better job at either inclusion or equipping law students with disabilities to be their own small business owners, whether that is a traditional practice or whether that is another business so that there will be leaders to combat the nonsense indicated  infra.

Sincerely,
Gary

Addendums

I thought it might be prudent to call your attention to this story emanating from the City of Brotherly Love. The link follows:

http://www.newsday.com/news/nation/blind-man-albert-rizzi-and-his-guide-dog-booted-from-us-airways-flight-to-li-1.6435447

While I am heartened by the fact that the passengers supported the team, I am dismayed that this kind of thing continues to happen.

Of course every challenge also presents an opportunity. In this instance GDB could gather some timely and positive publicity by offering to provide some training to airline personnel. These need not be extensive classes, but rather day-long workshops that demonstrate dog-handling techniques and simultaneously accentuate the advantages of travel with a Guide.

Please share your thoughts when it is convenient.

Addendum No. 2
In March of this year (2013), Peter Singer, a professor of Philosophy at Princeton University gave a TED talk regarding effective altruism. You can hear the talk at the following link:
http://www.ted.com/talks/peter_singer_the_why_and_how_of_effective_altruism.html
As you will hear, Professor Singer raises the issue of Guide Dog training in his talk. I quote from the TED blog below (see http://blog.ted.com/2013/03/01/effective-altruism-peter-singer-at-ted2013/)
"One of the most important aspects of effective altruism is measuring your impact quantitatively. You can pay to provide and train a guide dog for a blind American, which costs about $40,000. But with that money you could cure 400 to 2,000 people in developing countries of blindness from glaucoma, which costs about $20 per person."
As advocates of GDB, I think we need to be prepared to answer the following question:
'Why should anyone give to a Guide Dog school when, if that money is directed elsewhere, I can help many people instead of one?"
Although, I think I have formed an answer in my mind, I would be curious to hear how others might answer.