[blindlaw] Introduction from Sacramento California

Aser Tolentino agtolentino at gmail.com
Fri Nov 22 07:37:22 UTC 2013

Hello Patrick:

I am an attorney in Sacramento, having graduated from Davis and passed the bar in 2010. That being said, I have no idea what the test looks like now. I would be happy to try to answer any questions you might have about the process generally though.
I chose to study independently with BarMax. I followed the
provided schedule, with the exception of a break in the middle to attend a friend's wedding, which I accounted for by starting early. I requested and was granted the assistance of a reader and scribe with double time. The only occasion when time seemed like it might become a factor was on the days (it took six to complete the whole test) when I worked on the Performance Test. It's said often that bar prep is a marathon and not a sprint, and that is doubly important to remember if you embark on it alone or go about it differently than others. If you stick to your guns though, you'll sit down on the first day of the exam, face the first prompt, and if not exactly know what to do, have a pretty good idea. It's all about practicing until you're comfortable with the material and how the different sorts of prompts work. Any bar prep package you choose should come with lots of extra practice exams. Work through them, timed and untimed, and don't get discouraged when evaluating your performance so long as you're building that familiarity with the subjects. Also, don't forget to deliberately set aside time to relax and de-stress; I listened to audiobooks that were guaranteed not to have legal tangents, sci-fi, historicals and the like; a lot of friends watched trashy TV or went out to eat.
Unfortunately, I really can't help with the second part of your inquiry as I'm looking for work now too and come from the public service end of the field.
So that was a lot of cliches and I'm sure there are plenty of other smarter people on the list who have useful advice for you. If you have questions, please don't hesitate to ask.
I wish you all the best.

Aser
Sent from my iPad