[blindlaw] Question on Office Tools

Susan Kelly Susan.Kelly at pima.gov
Mon Nov 25 17:50:30 UTC 2013

Our office (and most of the county government) recently converted to VOiP.  I can't stand it - JAWS only partially reads the virtual voicemail, and is triggered to read whatever happens to be on the screen every time the phone rings - unfortunately, it does not read caller ID, which is what one would logically assume it would be doing.  It does not read the commands on-screen for putting the phone on "do not disturb" and call "call forwarding", either, so I have to ask a co-worker to do that for me - something that was very easy to accomplish by myself with our prior, analog phone system.  The VOiP also does not read any of the instant messages that can be sent using the service.  That last problem is relatively easy to avoid in our immediate office, as I have asked my co-workers to simply e-mail me or get up and walk the couple of offices down to my office if I am needed.  But, at least in our set-up, VOiP has been awful.  And, since it is a county-wide service, completely unavoidable.