[blindlaw] Inaccessibility of Xerox Multifunction Copiers, is Anything Being Done?

Gerard Sadlier gerard.sadlier at gmail.com
Thu Nov 28 21:12:29 UTC 2013

Hi all,

As you may know these devices are central piece of office technology.
They provide bulk printing, photo-copying and scanning functionality.
They are extremely fast and effective document feeding scanners, in
particular.

They are inaccessible because they operate through a touch screen.

My understanding is that Xerox has provided a partial accessibility
solution (so called) which allows a blind person to access the
photo-copying facilities of this machine (not what I am really
interested in using) which has the following disadvantages, among
others:
1. It requires a dedicated pc near the machine which the person needs
to operate it from; and
2. It costs extra on top of what is already a high end expensive product.

Crucially from my perspective, it does not allow scanning.

This seems to me insufficient. I wonder if any list members have
comments on whether this is lawful and whether anything can be and/or
is being done about this?

Thanks

Ger