[blindlaw] "Reasonable Accommodations"

ckrugman at sbcglobal.net ckrugman at sbcglobal.net
Fri Sep 6 23:16:03 UTC 2013

I agree with your comments. I have been working since I was in high school
in the late sixties and whether I got and kept a job depended much upon my
own resourcefulness when it came to ways of figuring out how I would do it.
Much of this was long before reasonable accommodation had even been thought
of. in one of my first jobs while in high school working as a telemarketer I
had to have friends and/or family record call lists so I could make my
calls. I had to keep notes of contacts in Braille and the accommodation by
the employer was that when I made a sale a coworker or supervisor would
write up the details for me. I frequently had to do my own transcribing of
other documents in later jobs and it seemed normal for me to do it without
asking for accommodation other than having the documents recorded for
transcription sometimes at my own expense. When I worked as a mental health
clinician my employer did have support staff record newly assigned files and
other incoming information on tape for me to refer to or transcribe notes as
I saw fit. When I worked as a vocational expert in Social Security hearings
I had to hire my own reader/assistant at my own expense. Now as a free lance
paralegal I regularly have to find individual solutions to accommodate how I
do my job. While it has become easier with the improvements in technology I
can only expect the law firms or solo practitioners that I work with to do
so much. After all I am marketing myself as a competent professional to
provide services. The duty of reasonable accommodation can't always be
passed on to an employer or contractor. The more self-reliant and
independent  you are in a work setting the greater likelihood exists that
you won't be part of the 70% of unemployed blind people.
Chuck