[blindlaw] Iowa grants permits for blind residents to carry guns in public

Michael Fry mikefry79 at gmail.com
Sun Sep 8 18:19:41 UTC 2013

Hi Everyone,

Did you see this news story about a blind man and a blind woman who were
issued permits to carry guns in public in Iowa.  The article describes gun
laws as they relate to blind people in various states.  There is even a
quote from NFB's Charles Danielson.

For my part, I agree with Danielson's statement.  A person that is visually
impaired should not be denied a gun permit just because he or she is
visually impaired.

The article quotes a disability rights advocate who said that she thought
that the ADA would prohibit blanket bans on blind people obtaining gun
permits.

Does anyone have thoughts about how the 2nd Amendment would come into play
here for blind people?  I think the 2nd Amendment guarantees people with
disabilities could also get guns.

Here's the link to the article.

http://www.desmoinesregister.com/article/20130908/NEWS/309080061/Iowa-grants-permits-for-blind-residents-to-carry-guns-in-public?Frontpage&nclick_check=1

Mike Fry