[blindlaw] Blind HighSchool student intrested in Law

Daniel McBride dlmlaw at sbcglobal.net
Wed Sep 11 15:23:56 UTC 2013

Mike:

Amen!

-----Original Message-----
From: blindlaw [mailto:blindlaw-bounces at nfbnet.org] On Behalf Of Michael Fry
Sent: Wednesday, September 11, 2013 9:42 AM
To: Blind Law Mailing List
Subject: Re: [blindlaw] Blind HighSchool student intrested in Law

Dear Jeff,

Law is going through some seismic changes.  Twenty years ago a law degree
would likely lead to a rewarding career and a good salary.  Nowadays that is
not necessarily the case.  There is fierce competition among lawyers for
less work. Modern technology has enabled one lawyer to do the work of five
attorneys in the past.  Couple that with a very large supply of lawyers.
It adds up to significant downward pressure on the earnings of lawyers.  A
while ago, I heard a statistic that the average attorney earns about $60k.
Government attorneys earn about $100k and Federal attorneys earn about
$150k.  Federal attorney positions are highly competitive.  There is an
elite cadre of attorneys that work in "Big Law."  They earn probably around
$800k.

Given this highly competitive landscape, it is imperative that you go to the
very best possible law school especially because you have a severe
disability.  Law, like other advanced liberal arts degree, uses subject
criteria to differentiate between members of the field.  Going to an elite
law school will greatly increase your chances of getting hired by a
prosecutor's office of your choice.

If you want to be an attorney, here's what you should do.  Do your best to
earn the very highest GPA possible.  Listen to one non-fiction book a week.
That's 52 books a year.  By the end of your high school you should have
listened to about 150 non-fiction books.  Do some kind of sport like crew,
or, jog 5 miles a day on the tread mill.  Do two SAT/ACT preparation
courses.  Get at least double time on the SAT/ACT along with your other
accommodations.  Have your parents or the school get you a tutor.  Work with
the tutor every day for all classes.  Volunteer at the Lighthouse for the
Blind or some such thing.  Go talk to your career counselor right now.
Tell her you want to go to an Ivy League school.  Tell her you'll do
whatever it takes and that with your effort its her job to get you there.
It is imperative that you get into the very best possible college.

Once there pick an easy major like History or English.  Get a 4.0 gpa.
Work with a tutor through the disability resource center for every class on
every assignment.  Continue listening veraciously to non-fiction audio
books.  After your second year apply for and get a prestigious scholarship
like Roads or Fulbright or at least something specific for a visually
impaired person.  After that, do two review courses for the LSAT.  Get a
very good score.  Apply to the top 15 law schools.  Emphasize your visual
impairment and conquering adversity.

If you do these things, I think you'll be set.  Alternatively, consider the
Randolph-Shepard program.  The more I think about it, that sounds like a
good program.

I hope this was helpful and inspiring to you.

Sincerely,

Mike