[blindlaw] Jotting down notes in meetis / on calls: devices / strategies?

Amar Jain amarjain at amarjain.com
Wed Apr 9 06:40:21 UTC 2014

Dear List Members,

One of the challenge which I have now started facing is to take notes
during meetings or on calls whether internal or external.

One of the issue is of portability of devices, and other is the most
efficient way to do it within the short span of time.

What are the strategies which members on the list adopt to do the same? My
typing speed is reasonable enough to match with the speed with which we
go, so as of now the uncomfortable way is to carry your laptop along with
headphones and take notes. This especially becomes more challenging when
you have phone in one ear and headphone in other ear. And of course
portability is another aspect of it.

So, do notetakers in this situation help really? If someone can throw
light on their usage and features it will be great. I am not well equipped
with the knowledge of notetakers. Which are the good manufacturers of
notetaker devices?

Is netbook with Jaws the other possible option? And lastly which I can
think of is the Bluetooth keyboard with Bluetooth headset and smart phone.
How is that combo? What is the battery life of lets say IPhone and
Bluetooth Keyboard when used together?

I am not comfortable with the idea of recording first and then
transcribing the same into text. As that is time consuming.
Any suggestions will be deeply appreciated.

Thanks,
--
Amar Jain.
Website: www.amarjain.com