[blindlaw] Warning to jaws users

Ross Doerr rumpole at roadrunner.com
Sun Apr 20 20:35:33 UTC 2014

This notice is particularly important for those practicing law who use JAWS.
I picked this up from a JAWS list that I belong to.
Ross A. Doerr Esq.
Admitted to the practice of law in
Maine and New Hampshire
F. Ct. Admisions:
ME & N.H.

I just received a phone call from one of the individuals we serve reporting
on a call that concerned him. The unsolicited call was from a man who said
that the individual's copy of JAWS has caused a virus in his computer. The
man would repair the computer if the individual could simply turn it on, go
to a specified site (my caller could not remember where) and type in a few
numbers. He immediately knew something was not right and did not turn on his
computer nor comply in any way with the person. The person gave him a call
back number, which was 347-871-5995.

I checked that number and it is all over the Internet as a scam. The part
that concerns me most is that the individual who called me was identified as
a JAWS user by the scammer. I don't know if a Freedom Scientific database
was hacked or what, but I feel it is important for

you all to have a heads up on this in case individuals call. Most

may know not to do anything, but some may be naive and think there truly is
a problem. Let's hope no one gets caught.