[blindlaw] New Member Intro and Questions

Aimee Harwood awildheir at gmail.com
Tue Apr 22 18:52:08 UTC 2014

Hello everyone. I hope this email finds you all well.  My name is Aimee. I am seriously considering law school. I have read about the issues with the LSAT and would like to see if anyone has any suggestions and or recommendations to make that process more successful. I haven't narrowed down what schools I would be most interested in attending. I would like to see if there are schools that are more blind friendly than others. Could some of you please tell me about your experiences at the schools you attended? How difficult was it to juggle the 16 hour semesters and what methods did you use to accomplish all of the reading, assignments, outlining, and or whatever methods used to keep everything straight. Sighted people use highlighters, underlining, and many other visual aids to manage the massive amount of information covered in law school. How will a blind person manage all of this information so that when it comes exam time, I won't be studying unnecessary information. I totally understand that this will be totally different than undergrad and really would like some insight on how we manage it all.

Everyone says I will make a great lawyer. It is really great to have the genuine support from those who know me well enough to make a statement regarding my suitability for the profession. I look forward to learning everything and anything related to being a lawyer. It is something I have been interested in doing sins I was a teenager. I just didn't have the connection to other blind individuals or organizations and didn't think Blind people could be lawyers. I wasn't introduced to JAWS and computers until long after high school. Here is a funny joke. I thought I would be able to be a horse trainer more than I would be able to be a lawyer. I suppose that was because I had been working with or at least riding horses since I was a young girl.I am going into law school as a non-traditional student. I am making a later in life career change. Unfortunately I am not able to do the horse life any more. The president of my chapter said to me one evening, "Why don't you go to law school?" I had already been thinking about it, but that was the start of this new chapter.

Again, I really look forward to this journey and hearing the good, bad, and the ugly that you all have to share with me.

Aimee
Sent from my iPad