[blindlaw] Sec. 508 Compliance in the Federal Workplace

Joe jsoro620 at gmail.com
Fri Jun 13 01:36:59 UTC 2014

Hello,

I'm looking for federal employees who can share their experience with
technology accessibility in the workplace. I keep hearing the IRS and Social
Security Administration have excellent accommodations, but that experience
has clearly yet to reach all agencies. In my agency we run into difficulties
working with multiple development teams to bring individual systems to at
least a workable state with JAWS, but of course this is only a workaround
and ignores the greater importance of meeting Section 508 standards. I
Googled the issue and was surprised to find very little in the way of
resources for federal employees and workplace accessibility. If you have
pointers on best practices, user forums or any other resources to assist in
educating IT departments, I'd be most grateful. We're about to lose a
competent 508 coordinator and think our small group may soon need to step up
our own self-advocacy campaigns. Thanks again.--Joe