[blindlaw] 17th Annual Mock Trial

Scott C. LaBarre slabarre at labarrelaw.com
Fri Jun 20 16:01:21 UTC 2014

Hear Yee, Hear Yee, Hear Yee, all draw nye and attend the Seventeenth Annual
Mock Trial sponsored by the National Association of Blind Lawyers!

When?  July 2, 2014

Where?  The Annual Convention of the National Federation of the Blind in
Orlando, Florida, Rosen Center Hotel.

Here is what the agenda says about the Trial:

4:15 - 5:45 pm-SEVENTEENTH ANNUAL MOCK TRIAL (Admission: $5.00)

Junior Ballroom G, level 1

Federation lawyers oppose each other to enact a case addressing the civil
rights of blind people, and the audience serves as the jury.  The subject
matter is serious, but the courtroom portrayers are very entertaining.

Indeed, this year we are taking up the case of Iza So Hot and Ima Ababe v.
Meet Hot Ones Inc., Web URL www.meethotones.com.  Our two plaintiffs, one of
each gender, are suing Meet Hot Ones Inc. under Title III of the ADA in the
United States District Court for the District of Federation, the Honorable
Charles S. Brown Presiding.  Our plaintiffs allege that Meet Hot Ones Inc.'s
dating services are inaccessible.  The Defendant operates both a dating
service on the internet and a mobile app.  Plaintiffs assert that neither
service is accessible with screen reading software or voiceover on the
iPhone.  Plaintiffs argue that Meet Hot Ones is covered by the ADA because
it is a good or service contemplated by the Act.  They allege that Meet Hot
Ones Inc. does not exist only in cyberspace because the end result of its
services could be close physical contact.

Meet Hot Ones first argues that it is not covered by the ADA because it
exists solely in cyberspace and that any resulting physical contact is
purely incidental.  It further asserts that it does accommodate the blind in
two ways.  First, blind customers can call a customer service number to get
help, 1 800 blind girl.  Also, it operates, out of the goodness of its
corporate heart, a special dating service for the blind, www.blinddate.com.
This specialized website is only for blind persons and does not have nearly
the same features and functions.  It doesn't have, of course, pictures
because blind people don't care about looks.  It is only for blind people
because it is well known and commonly accepted that blind people should only
date other blind people.

As you see, we will have a most interesting case for our jurors to decide.
Justice must be done.  Come join us and render your verdict.  Proceeds go to
the National Association of Blind Lawyers to help in its effort to provide
continuing legal education and critical networking opportunities for blind
legal professionals.

See you inCourt!

Scott LaBarre, President

National Association of Blind Lawyers