[blindlaw] MS Operating Systems in Federal Agencies

Ronza Othman rothmanjd at gmail.com
Thu Mar 13 01:01:21 UTC 2014

Hi - I work for a federal department (same one as Ben, interestingly, but we
don't follow the same operating system refresh schedule as Ben's part of the
department), and we've been using Windows7 since mid 2012.  We are scheduled
to have everyone's computers refreshed in mid-2015, and we'll undoubtedly
get whatever is the most recent version out at that time.  The folks in the
Office of General Counsel who service my operating division have had
Windows7 for a while now, because they need to be able to process the same
sorts of programs and work that the rest of us do.  Also, we have attorneys
all over our operating division, such as in the EEO/Civil Rights Office
(where I am), in the Office of Hearings and Appeals, in the Office of the
Attorney Advisor, etc.

I guess the short answer is that each federal department, and in fact each
federal agency (sub-department) upgrades on its own schedule depending on
when it has the money.  As a result, you'll probably find folks all over the
government using everything from NT through Windows8.

Good luck,
Ronza