[blindlaw] Exemption of blind people from logic games on the LSAT

Michael Nowicki mnowicki4 at icloud.com
Mon May 5 01:29:04 UTC 2014

Dear list members,

I recently heard something about a law suit against LSAC, which, if
successful, would exempt blind people from the logic games portion of the
LSAT on the grounds that it is not fair for us to be tested on such a
visually-oriented concept.  Do any of you happen to know whether or not such
a case has in fact reached the courts?  I am particularly interested in this
matter because although I have figured out how to conquer most types of
games using Excel, setting them up and getting through the questions is very
time-consuming.  That is, there are four games in a section, but I am
usually able to get through only one within the allotted time (I get 70
minutes).  I've been trying to work faster, but when I speed up, my accuracy
suffers tremendously.  This is because when I feel the clock ticking, I
often misinterpret one or more of the rules governing a game, which in turn
produces a negative chain reaction, since answering the questions requires
spotting available major deductions, and making deductions depends on
combining rules, something that cannot be done without a solid grasp of each
rule.

That being said, not having to worry about logic games on test day would
alleviate much of the stress.  At the same time, though, I know that even if
such a law suit has been filed, there is no guarantee that it will be
successfully litigated, and even if it is, who knows how long the trial will
take.  In short, it is highly unlikely, if not impossible, that the changes
in question would take effect before June 9.  Nonetheless, please let me
know if you have any information on this topic.  Thank you in advance.

Michal