[blindlaw] Inaccessible exam software

Elizabeth Rene emrene at earthlink.net
Thu Oct 23 02:22:51 UTC 2014

Hello list,

I'm saddened to see one more set of letters about inaccessible law exam software that requires individual blind law students to spend valuable study time (and endure additional pre-test stress) doing cartwheels to get special arrangements and accommodations that would be unnecessary if the software vendor complied with the ADA in the first place.

ExamSoft, and now apparently Exam 4, is used by law schools and state bar examiners all over the country, but no one of these public institutions has stepped up to the plate and demanded that these software contractors meet ADA accessibility compliance requirements.

The arguement goes like this: we can make special arrangements for you once you prove you need them.  You can be exempted from using that software.  Your test will be kept confidential (insert smiley face).

Imagine this scenario:  Exam proctor says:  You can't bring your white cane/guide dog into the test center.  It's a threat to exam security and distracts others.  We'll lead you around, assuming you can prove you're blind enough
to need our help.

That's illegal, isn't it?  None of us would submit to that, would we? And there are laws on the books to protect us from being forced to do so, aren't there?

And those laws were passed and are now enforced because sighted legislators and judges thought of them all by themselves without any input from us (insert another BIG smiley face).

Isn't it time that we, the people who are most affected by inaccessible professional gateway software such as ExamSoft and Exam 4, make it illegal for state bar associations and law schools to contract with anyone failing to meet ADA requirements?

Once we do this, we'll
open doors for every other blind person who has to take professional licensing exams and university tests using proprietary software.

So let's do something about this.

Best regards,

Elizabeth Rene
Attorney at Law