[blindlaw] Citations

Laura Wolk laura.wolk at gmail.com
Sun Sep 28 15:22:00 UTC 2014

Hi Rahul and all,

I, too, have had the issue with horrible unresponsiveness in
footnotes. it is maddening. i have uninstalled/reinstalled both word
and jaws with no luck. however, rahul, I have found the problem is
much worse with msword 2013 than it is with 2010 so, when doing
editing/writing papers, i use 2010 instead.

as for your BB questions: do you use the online edition? it is very
helpful, but not perfect, as all of the font  changes are not
detectable with jaws. Do you have a research librarian? for me, I have
found that the best way for me to internalize the formatting is to
talk it out and write it out in a way that makes sense to me. this was
extremely helpful. I would be happy to talk through some of the more
common sources with you but, really, you should try to find  a
resource at your school that you can talk through these things with as
they come up. I am lucky in that, iwth law review, you do things over
and over and over again in a short period of time and so the
internalization process is quick, but I remember last year being so
frustrated that I had gone over something in legal research and then
couldn't remember it months later. If you're in that position, i think
creating a file for yourself with your own notes will be very helpful.

in the short term, have you considered employing a reader? Perhaps you
could at least discern from the bb what elements need to be a part of
your citation, create simply textual citations with no italics,
smallcaps, etc, and then go to your reader with the bb and have them
tell you how the bb formats the different sources.

Anyway, just throwing out some ideas. hopefully some of it is helpful.

Laura