[blindlaw] Amazon.com and accessibility

Michal Nowicki mnowicki4 at icloud.com
Mon Feb 2 20:51:28 UTC 2015

If the page refreshes automatically and you are using JAWS, there is an
option in the verbosity settings to prevent the content of the virtual
buffer from refreshing along with the page.  The nice thing about this
setting is that it doesn't actually stop the page from refreshing; it only
tells JAWS not to react to the change until instructed to do so by the user
by pressing "insert plus escape."  This in turn allows the user to navigate
without being routed back to the top of the virtual buffer or to some other
undesired part of the page.

That said, while this feature works quite well on pages such as scoreboards
on sports websites - which refresh periodically to update scores - it may
not necessarily resolve your Amazon issue, especially if it results from
inaccessible flash animations or developer scripts that are incompatible
with assistive technology, but it may be worth trying out this setting.  I
hope this helps.