[blindlaw] Accessibility of Florida State Court Document Filing System

Marc Grossman grossman at mail.sfsu.edu
Sun Feb 8 18:02:07 UTC 2015

When I was a consultant for a company that provided accessibility remediation services, we faced this type of dilemma on a daily basis. The technique that worked best was to plug speakers into my laptop and demonstrate a simple "use case to those people that were unfamiliar with accessibility." A use case is a common task that one might have to perform in order to achieve a goal. Maybe it is navigating to a web page and downloading a PDF form. Make sure it is something that most site visitors would likely do on a regular basis.

For example, invite people to gather around a conference table and read one of those documents posted on the county web site, navigate to the page and download the PDF or Word document and let your screen reader do its thing. You will literally hear people's jaws drop and the cheeks turn red with embarrassment. Bet you did not ever imagine that you could hear those things, huh?

Finally, offer to work with people instead of against them. Point them to sites like www.w3c.org/wai and www.adobe.com/accessibility . Invite tech colleagues to download trial versions of Jaws or free versions of NVDA. Ask them to invite local blind people to test their sites and documents. Ultimately, accessible sites and documents end up being better for all users, not just screen reader users.

Hope that helps.