[blindlaw] carpe diem and filesite software accessibility

Susan Kelly Susan.Kelly at pima.gov
Thu Feb 19 16:32:42 UTC 2015

I have not used either of these programs, but our office (public defense) uses a couple of different programs that are completely inaccessible.  Additionally, our court websites are also of limited accessibility.  I am lucky to still have a tiny bit of residual sight in one eye, so I can generally get by with the court websites relying on what is accessible with JAWS, then switching to extreme magnification for that which isn't.  On cases that require those sites for a lot of reading (like the transcripts that are digitally filed and needed for appeals), my assistant downloads them and converts then to either Word or Adobe e-pub.  (Different programs are used by the various court reporters, which contain programming codes that cannot always be eliminated, thus requiring different options for making the transcripts accessible).

As far as our time / attendance / employee benefits program and our electronic file management software, both are completely inaccessible (the time and attendance program does allow me to use JAWS to log-in, but the rest is pretty useless), I have to rely a bit more on others.  All necessary pleadings and other documents for my files are loaded into Word (OCRd as necessary) for me to be able to read using JAWS.  As for the time/attendance nightmare, once I log-in, either my assistant or my secretary enter the needed information as I provide it to them.  It is a HUGE invasion of privacy, given that even our personal data is stored on that site, but I have no other option at this time if I want to get paid.