[blindlaw] west academic now using "vital source" to distribute accessible books--is this platform accessible?

Laura Wolk laura.wolk at gmail.com
Tue Jan 6 21:46:57 UTC 2015

Hello all,

Ironically, given the recent discussion about the ease of using
publisher-distributed textbooks, I've just received an email from West
Academic stating that they no longer send PDF files directly to
students. They instead use a platform called Vital Source. Students
are given a redemption code, told to "click on the cover of the book"
and can view the book from within the website. The instructions I
received also made it seem like you could download an application to
view the book offline, but the wording leads me to believe that again,
this won't give you access to a stand-alone file that can, say, be
parsed out in Kurzweil. Rather, it seems like it just gives you access
ot the same proprietary file.

I cannot test this hypothesis though, because I can't seem to figure
out how to 'redeem" my digital books to see if they're accessible. I
keep clicking on the link but nothing happens. I readily admit I am
not the most computer savvy person in the world, but I am not  a
novice Jaws user either.

Has anyone used Vital Source before? Is it accessible? Does it allow
off-line access to books?

If it does not allow offline access in a way which allows me to alter
the file to suit my own needs, I would also appreciate any information
about options moving forward. i heavily rely on being able to run
things through Kurzweil and to multi-task by keeping books on multiple
computers and my iPhone. I also foresee this will add extra time
constraints to open book exams, etc. If the file is technically
"accessible" but not readily usable, do I have any leg to stand on
regarding insisting that the publisher send me a stand-alone PDF file?

Thank you for any help or information.

Laura

Thanks,
Laura