[blindlaw] Difficulties with court transcripts in PDF format and JAWS

Susan Kelly Susan.Kelly at pima.gov
Tue Jan 20 20:36:09 UTC 2015

The court website is technically covered by ADA, but getting compliance has met with puzzled reactions, at least in our county - huge numbers of so-called "professionals" seem to assume that if it is on the web, it is automatically accessible.  (Believe me, I have trouble biting back the sarcastic responses when I am told this.)

I do not know what program the court reporters use to prepare their transcripts...I can say that the transcripts that are prepared from audio recording machines are fairly useable, aside from the frequent notations of "unintelligible" for words that could not be determined based on lack of volume or poor pronunciation, so I assume that those are prepared in Word or Word Perfect.  The problems seem to arise most often with transcripts prepared from the traditional stenograph machine used by human reporters.  From my experience when I could still read things visually, these are much more accurate in terms of contents, but not at all amenable to use with assistive technology when disclosed digitally.