[blindlaw] KNFB Reader iOS App Now Available for Only $49.99

Michal Nowicki mnowicki4 at icloud.com
Sat Jan 31 18:56:33 UTC 2015

Dear Mr.  Sadlier,

Here are my answers to your questions:
1.  There are no subscriptions.  However, depending on the billing address
associated with your Apple ID, you may have to pay a sales tax.  For
instance, since I live in Illinois, I had to pay approximately $53 for the
app.
2.  As far as I know, the app does not require an Internet connection
because the scanning and OCR functionalities are built into the software
directly.  By default, text is read automatically as soon as it's
recognized.  I don't know anything, though, about whether or not the app is
recommended for use with confidential documents.
3.  Personally, I don't really know how KNFB Reader compares to other OCR
solutions.  However, the blind people I know who use it love its
performance.  Moreover, the app has an overall five-star rating in the App
Store, which is the highest possible.  One thing to keep in mind, though, is
that the accuracy of text recognition depends heavily on the quality of the
picture of the print text.  Consequently, if you have no functional eye
sight, and if you have never taken a photo using your iPhone, you might need
a lot of practice positioning and holding the phone before you can use the
app efficiently in the workplace.
4.  The offer is on for a "limited time," As part of the App Store's "Get
Productive" promotion.  The KNFB Reader iOS website does not provide any
additional information on this discount.
5.  Do you have a U.S.  iTunes Store account?  If so, then you should have
no problems purchasing, downloading, and using the app.  If not, then you
will probably still be able to get it and use it, unless access is
restricted to the United States because of licensing constraints.  Also, the
app supports many foreign languages.

I hope this helps.

Michal