[blindlaw] ZoomText versus JAWS

Susan Kelly Susan.Kelly at pima.gov
Tue Jul 7 23:18:20 UTC 2015

The IT department for our county appears to be considering replacing the JAWS ply MAGic accessibility package I use, to replace it with ZoomText.  I still have a small amount of useful vision, but this is a progressive condition and within a few years (or sooner), I will be completely reliant on screen narration.  I am trying to learn Braille in the interim, but as a busy assistant public defender in the juvenile courts, time is not my friend.

My understanding is that JAWS is the most full-featured narration for a Windows / Word environment.  This change is primarily due to the fact that the county does not want to permit me any variance from the standard (and definitely not unique, but definitely incompatible with adaptive software) network environment that is run here.  Will ZoomText provide me with the same benefits as JAWS?  Also, how / where can I learn the necessary keyboard commands, as I will almost certainly have to do this in my "free" time at home?