[blindlaw] ZoomText versus JAWS

Olusegun -- Victory Associates LTD, Inc. ukekearuaro at valtdnet.com
Wed Jul 8 16:06:34 UTC 2015

Hello Ms. Kelly:

You wrote in part:

"My understanding is that JAWS is the most full-featured narration for a
Windows / Word environment."

I think that your understanding is a bit misconstrued.  Jaws may be the MOST
POPULAR screen reader, but it isn't the only FULL-FEATURED screen reader in
the market place.  For instance, I can't use Jaws in my business because it
just DOES NOT track the reading of the various screens I interact with daily
correctly.  I'm forced to do constant screen refreshing and this does slow
things down for me considerably.

Window-Eyes is a major contender in the screen reader market.  I have used
this screen reader forever and, sufficing to say, it has been the one that
has KEPT ME substantially gainfully employed if I dare to be close to being
politically correct.

For the records, the developers of ZoomText and Window-Eyes have sinced
MERGED into one company.  In the months and years to come, you may jolly
well find that Window-Eyes and ZoomText will play ball better if they can
iron out all the kinks they're working on.

I don't place my choice or trust in screen reader capabilities on what
accessibility gurus say; rather, I venture out and try things out or myself,
make my own assessment, and draw my own conclusions!  I'll urge you to
consider creating the time to do the same.

You can reach the ZoomText/Window-Eyes folks by calling:

1-802-362-3612.

They should be able to tell you how you can get a demo copy of their
products to play with at your own leisure.

Lastly, NVDA--Nonvisual Desktop Access--is slowly winning the hearts and
minds of screen reader users and may become a real contender in the market
place soon if plans DO NOT go awry.  What's more, it's free!  I have NO
ILL-FEELINGS towards Jaws, but it is wrong to assume that it is the be-all
and end-all for screen reader users!

Sincerely,
Olusegun
Denver, Colorado