[blindlaw] Bluebook

Stewart, Christopher K chris.stewart at uky.edu
Mon Jul 20 12:27:26 UTC 2015

Michal,

If you copy and paste the Bluebook citation from the online system
into Microsoft Word, then hit Jaws key plus F, JAWS will read the
attributes that the online editor fails to read. This primarily only
applies to smallcaps, which you will not use in court documents, but
you'll likely need to know for your research/writing course. And, of
course, you should strive to be on law review.

I completely disagree with the notion that reader would assist you.
All a reader would do is strip you of your independence in these
matters. I'm an editor on my school's top law review, and in speaking
with my sighted friends, the process of sourcing and citing articles
is time-consuming and tedious for everyone. In fact, the sighted folks
have to go through character by character as well to insure, for
instance, that periods are not in small caps.

I'm a Bluebooking nerd, and I'd be happy to discuss the online edition
with you. By the way, the online edition is really the only useful
way, currently, to get really specific information with 100% accuracy.

Best,
Chris