[blindlaw] Becoming an effective advocate for the blind/disabled

James Fetter jtfetter at yahoo.com
Thu Mar 5 16:10:20 UTC 2015

Dear List,
I hope you are all well and managing to stay warm in what seems to be a
never-ending winter. I would appreciate your thoughts and advice on the
best sort of preparation for becoming an effective advocate, both in
court and on the public policy level, for the blind and others with
disabilities. I am about to start law school in the fall, and without
going into details, I have several very attractive options in terms of
scholarships to choose from. I am specifically interested in the
importance, if any, in going to a law school which has one or more
faculty in the area of disability law, clinical opportunities in this
area, etc. Is there any genuine advantage in doing this, or is it just
as well to go to a place with no faculty in this area but an all-around
solid program? In terms of post-graduation employment, is coursework in
this area important, or is it sufficient to publish an article or two on
disability law and/or work over the summer with a relevant organization?
IN sum, I am trying to figure out how important it is that school X has
professor Y or clinic Z in disability law in making what is already
going to be a tough decision. Thanks, and if this conversation goes
beyond the parameters of this list, please feel free to write me off
list at jtfetter at yahoo.com
Sincerely,
James Fetter