[blindlaw] CA compulsory kindergarten age

Anita Keith-Foust anitakeithfoust at gmail.com
Sun Sep 6 22:33:56 UTC 2015

This has a little bit to do with high school. I was on the road typing on my
iPhone, trying to be helpful with an abbreviated version of what I have
written below. I will be more specific here.

In North Carolina the only educational requirement for a parent to
homeschool their child is a high school diploma or equivalent, such as a
GED.

Sometimes there are issues in a school system that causes a parent to want
to homeschool. For example, a mother whose child was murdered and her other
children are threatened with the same. The mother was charged with truancy
after the funeral because she was afraid to send her children to school. In
preparation for the truancy trial in family court, she took her children to
a psychiatrist who diagnosed them with post-traumatic stress disorder, PTSD.
She also, registered as a homeschool parent with the state board of
education.

When she went to court, the judge stopped the trial, there was no jury.
Everyone was happy including the prosecutor. The mother still had to deal
with the legal issues and grief, but the truancy issue was resolved.

That is what I meant. I was trying to be helpful with an alternative that I
have seen work in a very stressful situation.

Regards,

Anita Keith-Foust
919-430-1978