[blindlaw] guide dog access question

Elizabeth Rene rene0373 at gmail.com
Tue Sep 22 16:02:07 UTC 2015

I had a similar problem many years ago with my city's art museum. I showed up there with a group of friends and my guide dog to view the King Tut exhibition, all of which was under glass. A burly and very truculent security guard, shouting at the top of his lungs, ordered me either to leave the exhibit hall or permit him to put my dog in a "cloak room." He kept shouting and following us, drawing the attention of many, until I agreed to leave my friends and go home.
When I called the museum next day, they blamed this on the Egyptian government, and offered a "special" invitation to appear with other blind people and feel replicas of the exhibit. I called the state human rights department instead. One telephone call from them resulted in free tickets for me and my friends to return to the museum on the night of our choosing to see the genuine exhibit.
So I want to supplement the advice already given and suggest that you make that call to the human rights department of your state and ask if they might intervene on your behalf in time for the performance. They just might help you. If not, why not call the press? That circus is indeed famous. Maybe they could use some more publicity. Sometimes political remedies are more effective than legal ones.

Hope you get to that performance and have a good time with your dog.

Elizabeth

Elizabeth M René
Attorney at Law
WSBA #10710