[blindlaw] Introduction and hello!

Angie Matney angie.matney at gmail.com
Wed Apr 13 04:02:22 UTC 2016

hi Kristy,

I don't know of any OCR programs that can reliably deal with
handwriting. While I can independently access PDFs of decent copies of
documents, I use a sighted assistant for dealing with documents that
contain handwriting or that are of poor quality.

I use a program called Abbyy Finereader. When I have long documents, I
usually convert them from PDF to plain text. I lose some of the
formatting, but usually this works best for me. Sometimes, if there is
handwriting, I can tell because there will be jibberish in the
document. I will then ask my administrative assistant to read or type
the parts of the document that I can't access with OCR. Also, if there
are documents that I think could have handwriting, I will ask my
assistant to scroll through and alert me if there is anything there.
Sometimes, depending on the task, I ask my assistant to convert a
document to Word or to read it to me, but most of the PDFs I need to
access can be dealt with in Abbyy Finereader or a similar program. My
work is transactional in nature, though, so I might not encounter the
types of things you do.

And I can't say enough about kNFB Reader. Once, I used it at a
conference to scan a handout we were given in a group session. The
results were near perfect. I had access to the material in speech and
in braille almost instantaneously. It was pretty amazing. I was able
to participate in the activity with my sighted colleagues and
contribute meaningfully to my team's efforts.

I hope this is helpful. Good luck with JAWS. It can be difficult to
incorporate training into your schedule when you have a busy practice,
but JAWS can definitely give you pretty good access to a lot of what
you will need in your practice.

Best,

Angie