[blindlaw] Valid driver's license anyone? When is an exclusionary employment qualification discriminatory?

Jim McCarthy jmccarthy at mdtap.org
Tue Aug 2 17:37:51 UTC 2016

Paul,
I agree with you and in fact, there are many jobs in social work, teaching of blind and visually impaired students and many others, that express this requirement. When I instruct people who are blind or non-drivers because of disability, regarding these provisions, I assert that unless driving is an essential function of the job, this requirement should not exist. I think that the essential function for the job that Elizabeth highlights here is, as you say, getting to appointments in a timely manner and in an area like metro Seattle, the distances can be significant . I think too though that Elizabeth is right far too often that people using a cane or dog get screened right out of those opportunities because of the lack of a valid driver's license. In my professional life, I have had many conversations with blind people brainstorming ways they can seek accommodations for the inability to drive. It seems to me though that there is a comfort in paying parking, paying mileage and so forth, pretty much regardless of the size of the entity. I think that many of those entities would be less comfortable with the person who states that she just needs her UBER trips while at work paid or wants to hire a driver for those times outside of work or pay cab receipts. Right here in my small state agency, most of my employees, all are sighted and drive, think nothing of driving down town for meetings, paying $15 or more for parking while there and billing for the entire amount. Uber to and from would cost the same amount but I think many would question that as a reasonable reimbursable expense. I have not looked at the case law, as I don't really need to do much of that in my daily life, but I am not aware of cases that sought to address this issue. If I am right about the lack of case law, several reasons come to mind over the 26 years of ADA and perhaps 504 of the rehab act before, but it does surprise me a bit.
Jim McCarthy