[blindlaw] Questions for Judge Tatel

James Fetter jtfetter at yahoo.com
Fri Aug 5 12:20:53 UTC 2016

I think that any questions revolving around advice for junior blind
attorneys, law students, etc. who aspire to be in the position that
Judge Tatel is now would be very helpful. How did, or does, he manage
the misperceptions of his abilities that inevitably arise in
professional contexts, no matter how well-meaning everyone is? Has he
ever run across someone who, for whatever reason, refuses to acknowledge
his competence, no matter how often he has demonstrated it? As a judge,
I would assume that he would have assistance dealing with logistical
issues, but the bigger issue, in my view anyway, is educating people who
have not interacted with a blind person before that, with reasonable
accommodations, we are able to compete for the most prestigious jobs and
in the highest pressure environments in the legal profession. How does
he think we could go about doing this in a more effective manner?