[blindlaw] LSAT accomodations

Jameyanne Fuller jameyanne at gmail.com
Mon Aug 8 17:13:11 UTC 2016

Hello,
I realize I haven't introduced myself on this list yet. I'm Jameyanne. I'm
from NH. I'll be a 1L at Harvard Law School this year. I was a national
scholarship winner this year, and this convention was my first experience
with the NFB, which I found I love and am so excited to be a part of. I've
already learned a lot just by lurking on this thread, and I can't wait to
learn more and contribute once I actually know law related things.
Anyway, I took the LSAT last October. They would only let me use a computer
for the writing sample portion of the exam. Using a Braille notetaker was
not an option, and I didn't ask about using a Braille display with my
computer because at the time I was still just learning how to use that with
my computer (so I'm not sure about that). Otherwise I had a Braille exam, a
scribe to bubble in my answers, use of a Perkins Brailler and scrap paper
for all the sections, and 100% extended time. I had no problems applying for
these accommodations because they accepted accommodations I used on the SAT
and GRE. I did well on the test, and I would say the key to success for me
was practice, practice, practice. I requested 6 Braille practice tests from
LSAC (they're free as long as you return them on test day). I also did all
the practice tests in the back of the Princeton Review book I got on
Bookshare. And I did some more practice tests that I'd ordered in print from
LSAC orally with my mom or my dad scanned them in and proofread them so I
could read the test on my BrailleNote. I was studying for a good four months
before I actually took the test.
In terms of the logic games, I came up with my own system of efficiently
diagriming them on the Perkins Brailler. I used first letter abreviations
for the elements, and on one page I wrote out the clues using the first
letter abreviations, and then my deductions based on those clues so I could
easily reference all that information. Then on a separate page I started
working on the questions. I usually diagramed either across or in columns,
depending on the type of the game. I plugged in the information from the
clues and my deductions, then any additional information given in the
question, and solved the puzzle. I did not do the questions in order. I
started with questions that asked which arrangement of elements works. You
start by applying your deductions, one at a time, to each answer and
eliminate the choices that don't work, then you do the same thing with the
clues, one at a time. Then I went to questions that gave you an additional
piece of information to plug in and then solved the puzzle. Finally, I
tackled the complex questions, the ones that change a rule or ask for the
number of variations or something like that. Also, I learned to spot games
that were easier than others and to prioritize, so I did the easier games
first so I could spend more time stress-free on the harder games. Again, the
key to all this for me was practice, practice, practice. I reached the point
that before I took the exam, I was consistently getting 100% on every logic
games section, and even having fun with it. I highly recommend the chapter
on logic games in the Princeton Review's Cracking the LSAT (it's on
bookshare). Come up with your own system for diagramming, but the steps they
outline to solving a logic game work really well.
Hope this is helpful.
Jameyanne