[blindlaw] Questions about Reading Large Documents

Rahul Bajaj rahul.bajaj1038 at gmail.com
Sat Aug 27 06:27:56 UTC 2016

Hi All,

I think these are excellent suggestions; thanks for all the ideas.
I particularly like Laura's idea of preparing one's own table of contents. A large majority of the documents that comprise such case files are not really relevant, and since it is much harder for a blind person to skim through a large file  expeditiously than it is for a sighted person, such a resource could be invaluable. Even a simple notepad file would suffice.
This can be combined with Sy's idea of bookmarking relevant pages in order to get to them quickly. I will also try using Kurzweil instead of FineReader.
To give you some context, I am required to read these documents broadly for two purposes: First, for drafting written submissions and, second, for preparing a summary of  pertinent events/list of dates and the like. While the former is much easier to do, inasmuch as I am given ample time to craft submissions, the turnaround time for the latter is often very short which makes such assignments quite challenging.
While I do use the JAWS find command in Adobe Reader, I  often find that JAWS does not work very well with the continuous view option in accordance with which the entire PDF appears as one consolidated file. Therefore, I use single page view at this juncture. So I would be curious to know what others have to say about reading large PDF files and finding required information in an efficient and robust way.
Finally, while the firm for which I work is possessed of adequate financial resources to provide me the support that I need, as Sy says, I do not have the clout to demand accessible documents from the other side or to use sighted readers extensively at this juncture. Thanks again for all the help.

Best,
Rahul

Sent from my iPhone

>>> http://nfbnet.org/mailman/options/blindlaw_nfbnet.org/kgilbride22%40hotmail.