[blindlaw] question about reading large documents

Angie Matney angie.matney at gmail.com
Mon Aug 29 19:30:44 UTC 2016

I usually convert to plain .txt files also. I keep an unaltered
version and then make an extra copy where I put in my own marks to
indicate important passages or section/document breaks. If I am
feeling really ambitious, I might use html heading indicators, but
usually I just use something like three slashes (///) to indicate the
beginning of a new passage. (I don't know why I picked that
string--it's just what I usually do.) I then might use (*) to mark
something that is important to me, and I will often put my notes in
angle brackets. <This is a note> I use plain text because they open
more quickly and are also easily accessible on my braille displays
that have internal note-taking capabilities, such as the Braille Edge
I have for work.

Having said this, my practice is transactional, so this method might
not work for a litigator who needs information from pleadings that
don't translate well into text. I do generally get enough information
for my needs using this method. My assistant goes over any handwriting
or other irregularities with me. If I need to edit the document, she
converts it into Word and cleans it up before I edit.

Angie