[blindlaw] Blindness and Choosing A School

Jim McCarthy jmccarthy at mdtap.org
Thu Dec 1 15:47:12 UTC 2016

Sai,
It has been a long time since I was in law school and I would say that Tai's
thoughts on this, along with others, are much more current. Frequently, law
schools are affiliated with universities, but they very much manage their
own issues not using the university structure for doing so. The law school I
attended was affiliated with a college but I never worked with the college
for any accommodation issue. In my case, it was the Office of the Dean of
Student Life, I think and part of that including disability accommodations
and minority affairs. I think that Disabled Student Services offices serve a
function for the school or law school or whatever academic institution one
swishes to consider of assuring uniformity of treatment -- if you are blind,
you get these accommodations because these are what we give blind people.
The ADA is not supposed to be a "one size fits all," but life is easier for
institutions if it is. If making a law school choice today, one of the
things I would want to do is determine how those accommodations would be
provided and try to understand the part my actual needs as articulated by
me, would play in that process. We had exams where we could take many of
them over a two week final exam period. We would come in during blocks
assigned during that time, accommodations like extra time were know, and you
would take the test. Stamped out and stamped in. My guess is that the
undergrad would not have understood this so it was better to work with the
law school about any accommodations issues that might be necessary. Our
tests were done by some in blue books; some including mine on a computer.
Each of us had a code though for anonymity. I sought permission to have a
proctor and for her to do a format review in order that my exams to be
turned it did not have visual give aways that broke my anonymity. Those I
asked for this accommodation understood the school process, the goal of
having that process and so forth; they were close enough to the process to
make a meaningful decision that people on a campus a half mile away would
not have been. It is my personal view that disability support probably would
not be the deal breaker for me. If one school has a better reputation, or
has focus areas that interest me, or professors from whom I would like to
learn the law, in other words, nondisability factors, these would be most
important. If I felt like those doing accommodations and supports were not
going to be at all collaborative with me though, maybe that would take them
off the list of schools to consider.
Best
Jim