[blindlaw] Time on the LSAT

Sai legal at s.ai
Mon Dec 5 18:58:52 UTC 2016

On a legalistic side, from DFEH v LSAC and some other sources:

Something not as widely circulated as the consent decree is the "best
practices" panel final report and the court's order on it. I've
attached both (plus the summary of the report).

I suggest reading them in detail, as they're a bit complex.

In short, for blindness or serious visual impairment, they create a
rebuttable presumption of 100% extra time throughout — and 150% extra
time on the analytical reasoning (logic games) section.

Broadly, it creates three standards of accommodation:
1. non-time, given fairly easily (eg braille or electronic format,
separate room, scratch paper, electronic essay submission, food &
drink, extra break time rather than test time, etc)
2. extra time up to 50% for non-visual disabilities and up to 100% for
visual disabilities, given with appropriate documentation (more or
less automatic if it was given previously)
3. extra time more than that, requiring extra documentation (with the
exception of 150% on analytical reasoning for blind people, which is
in category 2).

I would guess that if someone is blind *and* has another disability
(like ADHD), they could make a good case for more time still, like
150% base / 200% analytical, but would face a lot of resistance and
demands for extreme documentation.

If you get them to grant electronic format, they'll send you a USB
stick with an older HTML format test on it for practice purposes.

(I'd have to check on whether I can share that or not, but if it would
help - e.g. to determine how much speed is actually needed with that
format - let me know privately.)

As a practical matter, I'd suggest just asking for double time (and
150% time on analytical), pointing to the final report adopted by the
court and documented visual disability. And practice with the
electronic format to find out how much time it actually takes you.

If it takes more time, be prepared for an uphill argument.

I should add that there's also a fourth category of accommodation,
that LSAC is extremely pissy about: phones.

These are *not* in the consent decree, and LSAC still by default does
not allow people to have them, even when turned off during the test.

This is a bit ironic, in that they do allow laptops if you have
electronic format. (In fact, they insist on you bringing your own, and
give you the test in HTML format on an Ironkey USB stick.)

I *was* able to get them to let me bring my phone - kept off during
the test, just used so I could take an Uber to and from.

However, that required making both
a) a strong case that I needed my phone to be able to safely get to
and from the test center, and
b) a very credible threat of immediate litigation if they did not
promptly agree.

FWIW, I think there are two things not covered in the DFEH case that
are ripe for a second class action:

1. phones, where required for purposes outside the test room, like
navigation, transportation, communication, etc. and proposed to be
kept off during the entire test

2. denials based exclusively on a combination of factors, no single
one of which is permitted under the DFEH decree (e.g. high IQ, high
test scores, no prior documented accommodation)

If you happen to be interested in pursuing such a case as litigation
counsel, please contact me privately.

- Sai