[blindlaw] 3. Re: looking for anyone who has been impacted by Barbri Bar Review's Inaccessibility

Stewart, Christopher K chris.stewart at uky.edu
Wed Dec 21 14:06:38 UTC 2016

Hi All,

I wanted to take a moment to echo the eloquent comments of my friend
and co-plaintiff Derek. For those of you in law school, bar review is
essentially the equivalent of studying for all of your 1L and many of
your 2L and 3L finals at the same time, except in at least one or two
cases, you won't have taken the class, and your intensity of study is
expected to hold constant for the better part of two months.

I watched as sighted friends around me had panic attacks, as
relationships broke up, and as everyone lost sleep. But even those
friends on the edge of breakdowns often came back down to earth when
they heard about my accessibility issues. Imagine waking up with an
eight-hour study plan outlined in front of you, but with none of the
materials for that day. What does that mean? It means there is very
likely an even longer day somewhere in your near future.

This law suit means all the more to me because, when I finish my
clerkship, I am moving either to New York or Washington DC. Neither
Virginia nor New York accepts a non-concurrent MBE transfer, so I'll
be going through this whole process again. So I encourage any of you
planning to use Barbri or who have at some point been discouraged from
using Barbri to get in touch with Deepa. Her email again is
deepa_goraya at washlaw.org.

Best,
Chris