[blindlaw] Looking for tech tools for blind attorneys

Bill Spiry b.s.spiry at gmail.com
Fri Dec 23 21:09:22 UTC 2016

Fact is, handwritten docs are pretty much inaccessible without the
assistance of a sighted assistant to convert or read the content for the
blind user.

Graphs and charts are challenging, it is possible to create tags for them
that can be "seen" by the screen reader, but it is tough to do. Personally,
I create a side document with descriptions of key elements of graphs and
charts so that I can refer to those points if presenting the materials. This
still takes the assistance of someone with vision to help describe and/or
transcribe the descriptions of the visual aids. If someone hands me a chart
or graph, I enlist someone sighted to interpret it for me.

As to landscape docs, good OCR programs like Abbyy finereader or Omnipage
Ultimate from Nuance will read the documents and do an OCR conversion
provided the text of the landscape doc is recognizable to the program OCR
function.

Bill Spiry
Attorney at Law
Spiry Law LLC
(541) 600-3301
Bill at SpiryLaw.com
Bill.spiry at gmail.com

This electronic mail message contains CONFIDENTIAL information which is (a)
ATTORNEY-CLIENT PRIVILEGED COMMUNICATION, WORK PRODUCT, PROPRIETARY IN
NATURE, OR OTHERWISE PROTECTED BY LAW FROM DISCLOSURE, and (b) intended only
for the use of the Addressee(s) named herein. If you are not an Addressee,
or the person responsible for delivering this to an Addressee, you are
hereby notified that reading, copying, or distributing this message is
prohibited. If you have received this electronic mail message in error,
please reply to the sender and take the steps necessary to delete the
message and any attachments completely from your computer system.

Email transmission may not be secure. Third parties can and do intercept
email communication.  By using email to communicate with this office, you
assume the risk that any confidential or privileged information may be
intercepted and viewed by third persons.