[blindlaw] Completely Accessible Office Copier Solution

Farber, Randy rfarber at jw.com
Fri Jan 29 16:35:43 UTC 2016

Tai - What is the cost of this printer?

Randy

-----Original Message-----
From: blindlaw [mailto:blindlaw-bounces at nfbnet.org] On Behalf Of Tai Tomasi via blindlaw
Sent: Friday, January 29, 2016 10:25 AM
To: Blind Law Mailing List
Cc: Tai Tomasi
Subject: [blindlaw] Completely Accessible Office Copier Solution

Hi, all. I wanted to report that my office has located a completely accessible multifunction printer/scanner/copier/fax that will automatically convert everything scanned to an accessible PDF file. It is called the Samsung X7400, but many other Samsung models have similar functionality. The touch screen on these units is a Samsung  tablet running on an open version of Android, meaning that you can enable Android's Talkback feature to gain access to all of the machine's functions. You can also install other apps to the Android tablet, making it an ideal solution for adaptive technology users. You can print to it from your iPhone using AirPrint, and it can also interface with your Android phone or tablet wirelessly. The options are endless! I am currently researching whether any of Samsung's home office models feature this functionality.

My employer has a contract with a local copier company. I was happy to learn that the accessible model does everything and more than our current model can do, and it will cost less than the model we are currently using. I find this refreshing, given the inaccurate perception that accomodations for employees with disabilities are expensive. An accommodation put in place for my benefit actually saves my organization some money. Once I get more practice with the machine, I will write a more thorough review. My goal is to start a blog on topics like this. In researching accessible office equipment, I could find nothing written about accessibility. In areas beyond basic technology, little to no information is available for people with disabilities. I hope to change that. Stay tuned.

Tai