[blindlaw] {Spam?} Re: Guide dog verses white cane

Jim McCarthy jmccarthy at mdtap.org
Fri Jul 22 17:50:10 UTC 2016

I think David is right that much of the professional acceptance of either method is based on the comfort or confidence the blind person has with the method chosen. I have not practiced law, but when to law school and have worked in a professional setting following that experience. While in law school, I got my first guide dog and he accompanied me into my early professional career. At the time of his passing, I switch jobs and moved cross country electing a cane for travel. That was fine and I did it for 12 years. I once again have a dog. To me the dog is probably more distracting. People take notice of the dog; some understand it is correct not to take notice; some can't help but take notice; some want to ask all the questions about what in fact the dog does for me; many conclude I couldn't get up in the morning if it weren't for the dog, that though the dog makes sure I get up to feed him just like dogs in any home do and so forth. If one chooses a dog, managing those attitude issues is an obligation he must take on in furtherance of his career, social life and so forth. A cane takes very little space and very little energy. It gets noticed and forgotten. It tells others that you are blind and their responses are to the blindness, not to the cane. The dog does the same in that sense. I can't have a dog in most places unless I am disabled and most people don't bring their pets, even really well behaved ones, into professional meetings. To me there is more that can go wrong with a dog in professional circumstances than with a cane, but I also have very high expectations of proper behavior from my dog and think that in the main, I am at my best with a dog. There are situations when I think I prefer the dog and others when I prefer the cane and I rarely leave home without both.
Jim McCarthy