[blindlaw] guest speaker for a disability celebration and awareness forum

Keri Svendsen keribcu at gmail.com
Tue Jul 26 14:05:48 UTC 2016

Good morning,

My name is Keri Svendsen. I am a totally blind student attending Concord
University in Athens West Virginia. I am the chair for a committee that
plans a disability celebration and awareness forum held at our school
every year in conjunction with the US Forest Agency.

This year I really wanted to bring a famous speaker on disability rights
to CU, but sadly we have no money in which to pay someone. I was  given
the suggestion by one of the deans to check with our student activity
club to see if they have some money they can offer us to help, but I
can't count on that sadly.

I was hoping there may be a blind lawyer either in the state or close by
that practices disability law who might be willing to come speak for
this event. We don't have a date yet, but that will be decided in the
coming few weeks, and this could also help us be more flexable for a
speaker.

Although, we may not be able to pay we can provide the following:

Free lodging. Our school has a room like a hotel room that can be
provided to a guest to spend the night.

We can also provide transportation to and from either Charleston WV or
Roanoke Va airports, or the Hinton West Virginia Amtrak station. We
could also provide transportation to and from the Grayhound station, and
maybe megabus on in VA, but that would have to be discussed with us.

I will pay out of pocket if necessary for meals while a guest is here,
but I imagine the school would cover such if I spoke to the right people
to tell them the situation.

If anyone is interested feel free to contact me at one of the following
emails

keribcu at gmail.com

or

svendsenk30 at mycu.concord.edu