[blindlaw] Law Schools Power over Readers or assistants for study and outside of classroom assignments if the individual is not paid by the school

Aimee Harwood awildheir at gmail.com
Sat Nov 12 20:33:49 UTC 2016

Hello fellow listers,

I need to clarify my position on the reader in research. I only intend to use the reader for locating things on the screen or in the document visually I will do all of the research myself. I will not ask them to do any research or make sure that I am using correct citation as to the rules. The reader will be solely for visual aspects of the work. I only want to use the reader as any other blindness related tool.

I have been out of school for 13 years and have not used JAWS in six of those years. Training is sparse here. I know enough to manage. I would imagine that once I am more proficient with jaws and things of the like, I will use a reader less as school goes on. I am working on my braille proficiency and speed as well. At this point it is a much better use of my time until I become faster on my own.

I am not trying to have anyone do anything for me. That's not my position. I am very capable and high functioning once I learn how to do the things that I need to do. I understand that many of you may not really know me. And it would be easy to assume that I want someone to do the work for me. I don't. I hope you will consider looking at my requests in a different mindset. Miss Chang, I have not found your email regarding my post yet. I do hope you shared it with the group so that I may read it and find some wisdom within it. I would hope it was not sent to everyone except me.

In closing, I hope I have cleared things up a bit so that we can get conversations addressing the issues at hand regarding the school viewing most requests as an extra advantage over other students rather than leveling the playing field as well as increasing my understanding of what my rights actually are. I really do appreciate and value the input of the list especially because the majority of you guys have been out there and know more about the inner workings then those of us in law school.  You have the potential to be very helpful and insightful if you choose to.

Aimee

Sent from my iPhone