[blindlaw] FW: [DRBA] Disability and Civil Rights Clinic - NYC - Seeking collaborative partners nationwide!

Scott C. Labarre slabarre at labarrelaw.com
Tue Aug 8 17:55:21 UTC 2017

Fyi, especially in the NY area

From: Disability Rights Bar Association [mailto:DRBA at LISTSERV.SYR.EDU] On Behalf Of Natalie Chin
Sent: Tuesday, August 8, 2017 11:09 AM
To: DRBA at LISTSERV.SYR.EDU
Subject: [DRBA] Disability and Civil Rights Clinic - NYC - Seeking collaborative partners nationwide!

Dear all,

Some of you may know that Brooklyn Law School has an amazing disability and civil rights clinic. Our students work together with two supervising attorneys to represent adult clients with intellectual and developmental disabilities in state and federal court and in administrative proceedings. The Clinic has also filed state appellate and amicus briefs, written comments and testified in regulatory hearings and conducted outreach and education on matters related to supported decision making, supplemental needs trusts and OPWDD (the NY state agency that administers services to eligible persons in the I/DD community). More information can be found here:  <http://www.brooklaw.edu/aaidd> www.brooklaw.edu/aaidd. We also just launched a twitter page, which is @BLSDCRC – it’s brand new and we hope to utilize it more to spread the word about issues that impact this commmunity.

I am writing because in August and January of each year the Clinic often is seeking new cases to take on. We are interested in making an impact outside of New York City and State and would love to collaborate and support other organizations who represent adults (18 and over) with I/DD. One effort that comes to mind is amicus briefs, but we are open to providing legal support in others ways. For New Yorkers, we are also interested in hearing from you with any collaboration ideas!

We have 12-14 students who are extremely diligent, passionate and excited and two supervising attorneys with a combined 25 years of experience!

Feel free to reach out with any questions. Thank you!

- Natalie

Natalie M. Chin

Assistant Professor of Clinical Law

Director, Disability and Civil Rights Clinic:

Advocating for Adults with Intellectual and Developmental Disabilities

Brooklyn Law School

250 Joralemon Street

Brooklyn, NY 11201

718.780.0659 (ph.)

 <mailto:natalie.chin at brooklaw.edu> natalie.chin at brooklaw.edu

www.brooklaw.edu/aaidd <http://www.brooklaw.edu/aaidd>

Follow up on Twitter @BLSDCRC

REMINDER: The DRBA listserv is intended to facilitate open discussion and sharing of ideas. Members need to feel confident that their discussions will not be distributed beyond the group unnecessarily. PLEASE CONSULT WITH THE SENDER(S) BEFORE FORWARDING ANY LISTSERV DISCUSSIONS BEYOND THE DRBA GROUP. DONATE: The DRBA is a valuable free resource to its members. But the DRBA does have expenses for management, web and listserv services. PLEASE DONATE TODAY any amount you wish Online at http://GiveToSU.com Select “Burton Blatt Institute Fund” from the “My gift is designated to” drop down menu and indicate “DRBA” in the “Gift is to be used for” box. BRIEF BANK: Are you sharing briefs, interrogatories, decisions or other non-confidential resources on this listserv? ARCHIVE them for all present and future members by logging in to the DRBA website, going to the MEMBERS AREA and selecting ONLINE DOCUMENT DATABASE for further instructions. Contact DRBA-Law at law.syr.edu <mailto:DRBA-Law at law.syr.edu>  for login credentials and related help.