[blindlaw] About the American Bar Association

Scott C. Labarre slabarre at labarrelaw.com
Fri Feb 10 19:16:01 UTC 2017

Greetings Friends:

Recently there has been a fair amount of discussion here and elsewhere about
the American Bar Association and a perceived lack of commitment to
disability rights.  I write today to offer what I believe to be a fuller
story.

I first joined the ABA in 1992 as a law student, and it has been a long road
to now where I hold significant leadership within the ABA.  As many of you
know, I have begun a three year term on the ABA's Board of Governors.  My
intent over the last twenty-five years, now, and into the future has been
and will be to fight for a more inclusive profession and to make sure that
the ABA stands for that goal and helps to achieve it.  I fully disclose my
leadership role because admittedly I feel some need to defend the ABA and I
want to make sure that everyone is aware of the full story.  Although the
ABA has been far from perfect at times from providing real opportunity to
those of us with disabilities, I believe firmly that ABA's leadership is
commited to providing a truly inclusive environment.

The recent discussion about the ABA is centered around two events.  First,
we learned that the Litigation Section was to offer a roundtable discussion
on the so-called "drive by" litigation occurring under the ADA.  At first,
the panelists identified were heavily biased and would have likely provided
a highly unfair and skewed view of disability rights.  We alerted the ABA's
Commission on Disability Rights (CDR) about this issue, and under the
leadership of Staff Director, Amy Allbright, CDR intervened with the
Litigation Section and successfully fought for inclusion of two disability
rights lawyers many of us know well, Andy Levy and Robin Powell.  This
change of course occurred almost immediately, and as a result, a much more
balanced presentation was achieved.  Because the CDR has gained a much
higher profile over the last several years within the ABA, we had the
ability to get involved and prevent something completely unfortunate from
occurring.

The emerging presence of CDR has been no accident.  Many of us from the
National Federation of the Blind (NFB) and other disability rights leaders
have served on the Commission and have helped it grow.  That involvement has
also led to many of us getting involved more broadly throughout the ABA and
thus changing the organization's view towards disability.  We still have a
long way to go, but reall change has been happening.

The other recent event surrounds a CLE program that was to be offered last
Friday by the Young Lawyers Division of the ABA at the Midyear Meeting of
the Association  in Miami.  Deepa Goraya, a member of the Disability Rights
Bar Association, National Association of Blind Lawyers, and the NFB,
organized a program on Access to the Courts at which Matt Dietz from Florida
and a prominent member of DRBA, a blind lawyer from Kentucky, Chris Stewart,
and a deaf lawyer from New York, Sheryl Eisenberg-Michalowski, were to
speak.  Even though Deepa  had  requested an interpreter  for the panel in
November of 2016 and revisited that request a week before the program, there
was no interpreter available on site and the program could not proceed.

For some time, significant resources have been available to ABA staff
regarding how to provide accessible metings etc.  CDR in fact has a tool kit
designed for this purpose.  When I learned about this incident, I brought it
to the attention of Jack Rives, Executive Director of the ABA.  I suggested
to him that ABA staff be reminded of resources available and that such a
reminder should come from his office.  One week later, this is the message
Jack sent to all staff, a staff consisting of over 900 individuals.

**