[blindlaw] Keyboard strokes for section symbol

Sai legal at s.ai
Thu Jan 12 20:52:41 UTC 2017

That reminds me of another thing I only found out very recently:

In Apple OSX, control-command-space brings up a searchable symbol dialog box.

You can type 'section' for instance and it comes up together with a
few other things; 'section sign' (the official Unicode name for it)
gives the exact result.

There's also a 'frequently used' section at the top of the dialog box.

It also has emoticons and the like, which I think is what it's mainly
used for, but as far as I can tell it provides access to the whole
unicode chart. Here's an ankh, for instance: ☥

I don't normally use a screenreader, so I have no idea how accessible
it is, but it might be useful.

It's an OS feature, so it works in nearly all text fields, but for
some reason not in my gmail compose window. (It does work in the gmail
search field, so I think it's gmail overriding keyboard shortcuts
somehow.)

Only on OSX, though.

Sincerely,
Sai